24 August 2006

Happy Birthday, Lovely L!

C
So – lovely dinner last night at The Wapping Project, to celebrate L’s birthday. Arrived at P’s for pre-dinner drinks (my new silver skirt clinging unflatteringly to my body, following encounter with torrential rain outside), to be told by an exasperated P that diet or no diet, teetotal or not, I would not get away with not drinking champagne. Luckily, no heavy-duty arm twisting was needed, but it’s been so long since I had a drink, it only took half a glass to get me pissed.

I love the Wapping Project. Set in a converted hydraulic power station, there’s always something new and different on, and last night was no different. Currently on display is a Deborah Turberville exhibition – highly recommended, especially the little pencil-scrawled notes alongside some fab pics from old copies of Vogue and W Magazine, one of which is taken from Proust (A La Recherche, I’m pretty sure), and sent shivers down my spine, as it made me think about time and memories, and – less profoundly to anyone but me – how I really don’t want to turn 30 next month, and just want to embrace my inner teen and iron out my face and neck and force every last bit of skin on my body up a good 10 inches. Oh god, it’s just so depressing. I did spend rather a lot of time last night bemoaning how old I look and how young I feel.

One thing that did make me giggle was the mention of Diana Vreeland, who had given Turberville an editorship at Harper’s Bazaar. Last Christmas, someone gave me a calendar along the theme of “Wild Words from Wild Women”, which includes a quote from a different woman for each day of the year. One of them I liked so much, it is tacked to my noticeboard in my office. It’s from Diana Vreeland, “the fiercely idiosyncratic fashion editor”, and reads:

“People who eat white bread have no dreams”

Love it.

Other news: have discovered ASOS. Clothes are dirt cheap, and whenever I see my sister (not the evil bitch, with whom I have now fallen out, probably irrevocably – the other one), she is always wearing something new, funky and not cheap-looking, and it has come from ASOS.

Am reading – and LOVING - Fashion Babylon.

Plans for Bank Holiday (and believe me, it couldn't get more depressing) - off to Dorchester this evening with V (don't ask - although we did see Prince Charles and Tessa Jowell last time we were there, but that's about as exciting as it's ever going to get), then Northampton with S, to see K (again, don't ask), but we always have the best laugh together. Haven't seen K since S threw a fantastic party a couple of Christmases ago and hired a bouncy castle. (The castle overturned, following much over-zealous jumping during the course of a very merry evening, and I woke up under it the following morning.) Then am invited to smug barbeque at S&J's, to mingle with their smug friends, and celebrate their recent purchase of a smug new house. Can't wait...

No comments: