23 October 2006

Sex In This City

Now that I am "in my thirties", having become increasingly cynical, single-minded and self-obsessed, with no money, assets, or man, I have decided to - tentatively - begin the search for the latter: a Man.

My doctor kindly reminded me on Friday, during an appointment he summoned me to in order to discuss my unresolved gynaecological issues, I am (and I quote) "already" 30, and "one wouldn't want to leave such issues until one is 39, has travelled the world and got to a good place in one's career and changes one's mind and decides to start having children" (he has never let me forget the time I waltzed into his surgery, aged 18, and begged him to refer me to have my tubes tied, following some article I had read in some feminist journal. He talked me out of it).

And I am 30, and despite being blessed with a v wide, ever-expanding network of friends I love dearly, I have never had a relationship. (There are several theories behind this, all of which will no doubt come to light as I relate my dating disasters in the coming months on this blog.)
So I am on a mission to see if I really am too independent, self-obsessed, obsessive-compulsive, neurotic, argumentative, intimidating control freak (for I really am all of these things) to ever form a functional relationship, or if I am just plain unlucky.

Watch this space.

No comments: