23 December 2006

2006


So like L I will blog about 2006. I am sat in the lounge at my sister's house, with bright Aussie sunshine outside (although it rained earlier today!) so it is hard to even believe I have just lived through a year in the UK, as I slot into a different rhythm and pace. I loved Melbourne so much, it would be amazing to live there. Such incredible restaurants, cafes, museums, galleries and parks. And also I met Harold Bishop! I am enjoying Sydney too, but it is definitely more of an airhead city - Los Angeles to Melbourne's New York.

Most memorable moment of 2006: Having a song written about me (it's entitled Ballymena Boy. Maybe one day it will be a number one
hit!)

Best meal of 2006: The New Angel, Dartmouth, July

Most idyllic moment: Sat in the sunshine drinking beer with J and J at bar QuatAmare with sofas just plonked on the sand and the sea gently lapping in the distance, watching the sunset, after a wonderful day looking at art and eating pasta, the Lido, Italy.

Greatest achievement of 2006: Touch wood, no broken limbs this year.

Funniest moment of 2006: getting the pilot's beer after complaining about the lack of alcohol on the flight from Bologna to London

Biggest disappointment of 2006: Cancelling my trip to NY just to go to an interview in Reading and then not getting the job anyway. Huh.

Best film of 2006: Tough one this. It's not been a stand out year. I enjoyed Volver very much, and Le temps qui reste, but neither of these are vintage Almodovar or Ozon respectively. I did discover Pauline a la plage on DVD which is a film I adore.

Best book of 2006: Until I Find You by John Irving. I laughed, I cried, it became a part of me.

Best exhibition of 2006: For sheer interest and discovering something totally new, Howard Arkely: Carnival in Suburbia at the National Gallery of Victoria, Melbourne.

2006 has been a surprisingly good year, with mucho foreign travel (Italy, New York, Australia) and living for a few months in London. Not much has changed in my life on the surface, but it has been a happy, fulfilling year on the whole, and for that I am very blessed and grateful. It's good to take stock every now and again and realise just how lucky I am.

Wishing you all a very very happy 2007.

No comments: