10 December 2006

KL experiences


Most surreal KL moment: walking along Jalan Patelang, the tackiest street in Chinatown ("Gucci" bags for two dollars, anyone?), I was stopped by a group of four very earnest Malay teenagers. I thought they were doing some kind of tourism survey, in manner of v boring GCSE geography project. But no! They were doing a survey on -wait for it- sex education!! So I was asked by the one boy in the group (the bravest and the one who had the best English) if I thought sex education in school was a good idea. Apparantly this is a big hot potato in KL at the moment. I tried to get them to tell me what they thought, but they also just nodded and stared at me with big eyes. As if I have any opinion on sex education in Kuala Lumpur! I said I didn't want to say what should happen in their country, but they insisted, so I suggested being informed generally is a good thing. They nodded earnestly then took my photo for the school newspaper!

Most disappointing KL moment: Going into the KLCC shopping centre and discovering the biggest shop in it was Marks and Spencers. Bloody globalisation, did not travel 7,000 miles just to see Per Una clothing. Did like being able to buy a tall skinny Caramel Frappuccino from the Starbucks on site though. Hmmm...

Most interesting sight in KL: On the 'Star' LRT, a woman in a hijab breast feeding a child. No-one on the train paid any attention to her naked breast. Thought how strange it was that a woman was covering her hair, an act read in a v specific way in the uk (esp thanks to Mr Straw), yet breast feeding her child in public, something I have never once seen on the tube in London.

Most interesting newspaper article: there is a huge debate occuring in KL at the moment about the local government's decision in a certain province to fine women who 'dress indecently'. Huge amount of correspondance in the local paper about this, ranging from 'it's terrible to try and control women' to 'men should learn self-control' to 'men are simply trying to protect women.'Such has been the outcry that the legislation has been changed to affect only Muslim women.

Most amazing thing about KL: The incredibly wide choice of breakfast food stuffs. Loved having dim sum for breakfast. Thanks to jet lag, I had temporarily turned into D, being unable to sleep beyond 4:30 am and watching dawn every morning. i was also starving in the morning (this NEVER happens normally).

Most expensive thing in KL: Proportionally, the beer. A can of Heineken drunk by the hotl swimming pool cost me as much as 1) the high speed train from the airport to the city centre or 2) three times as much as my Starbucks coffee or 3) as much as a two course lunch. Not the place to be if you are a budding alcoholic.

Best value thing in KL: the incredible foot massage I had. It was cheaper than the beer (see above), lasted over half an hour, and my feet felt feather light by the end. It was madly painful - almost too painful to bear - I had no idea someone's hands could prod and poke so harshly! - but it totally removed the sluggish just been on a 13 hour flight feeling. I'm going back on my return.

Most small world moment: The assistant manager in the hotel's Chinese restaurant, Jackie, spent three years living in Manor house, just off the Holloway road. He loved clubbing in Camden. he told me to go the Hsieu Shen restaurant in Holborn, tell them I know Jackie, and I will get a free meal - apparantly! Later when I got the bill, I found they'd left off half what I had and not charged me for the drink. Bless. I think he was worred I was lonely, and told me to come and see him if I needed a chat. Must say as white girl alone I stood out in KL.

Best thing about being in KL: Experiencing properly for the first time being the racial Other. Noticing how much I noticed other Europeans, and how instantly recognisable we were. Seeing how we could all 'look the same' and realising the diversity of Malay looks, clothing and behaviours.

No comments: