24 February 2007

Party number 2

So last night there was yet another party to go. Hurrah!! On Thursday, I packed my small blue rucksack with my swimming stuff, fully intending to have a swim and go home post my MA seminar. However, as the seminar finished and we hovered outside smoking and I was being quizzed on the finer points of melodrama by my students, N suggested we headed to the pub to carry on the conversation. It was a great evening - I have a lovely M.A. crowd this year. 5 pints and no food later, at 3:30am, I stumbled drunkenly up the road, only to find - shit! bollocks! that I had no contact lens solution in the flat. My contact lens solution was of course, back in my office, in my swimming kit. There was nothing for it. I was going to have to sleep in my contact lenses. The only problem with this was I had an after care appointment at the opticians the next morning!

The next morning I am quizzed by a v serious opthamalogist about my contact lens wearing habits. Do I remove them every night? Do I wear them for no more than 12 hours a day? Do I wear my glasses at least twice a week? yes, I lied. Then of course she shone a light into my tired eyes, onto which the contact lenses were stuck like glue, and pronounced that my eyes were showing a worrying amount of blood vessels, and even though they were fine and healthy, she wanted to keep my under closer surveillance, and I will now have to have after care every three months. Oh, if only I had told the truth - that the things had been in my eyes for the last 36 hours, and I was dying of a hangover and sleep deprivation.

So to comfort myself I wandered into Oasis and bought a gorgeous black jumper dress. I love it! So I even had a nice outfit to wear for the party (jumper dress, slim black trousers, heels). I also bought a great new conditioner (Aussie 3 minute Miracle), and put on my Nars bright purple eyeshadow and did Siouxie Sue style eyeliner. I was feeling pretty ready for a party (unlike last week's grey jumper fiasco).

The party was fabulous. It was hosted by J (whose brother G we bumped into last week). He is a practising artist and lots of his artist friends were there. One of them H was hilarious and told me that were he not gay he would just eat me up for breakfast! He makes statues of women which he uses in his live performances, and I have offered him custody of my life size Marilyn Monroe cut out (she is currently languishing in a cupboard). We are going to have a handing Marilyn over ceremony soon, and she can have a whole new lease of life in avant garde art works. Another guy D has set up an alternative Karaoke - it is called KaraTribune. It is just like Karaoake, but with recordings of famous political speeches on the screen and the text of the speech scrolls in front of you. J and I did "I have a dream" by Martin Luther King. The host as Hitler was scarily good! It was a bit of a shame that J and H got into an argument about the role of theory for a practising artist, an argument H tried to resolve by removing his trousers and underpants. He then got v contrite afterwards. I left at this point (hate conflict, also eyes were killing me by this point) but J stayed, and texted me this am to say that J and his girlfriend M were serving breakfast to everyone dressed as a rabbit and a paramilitary!

No comments: