22 June 2007

Cynicism and Hope


Big shout goes out to my (male, platonic) friend J, who I am sure will still be on a break from his billable hours reading this blog by the time I publish this note. I emphasise the platonic quality (much to his amusement, I'm sure) as this seems to be the only type of male relationship I can manage (although ironically, we were mistaken for a couple last night - I am still giggling about that!).


I do cherish the ever-dwindling pool of platonic male friends in my life who have not sold out to the NW London suburban dream (or who at least feel guilty and ambivalent about it if they have!) and who struggle to reconcile their successful careers with their desire for intellectual and moral integrity. Few men I know would "get" some of the items we publish on this blog, and if I were to meet a man I thought would be able to understand, chances are I would be very, very interested in him, and would be too petrified to open myself up to the extent that I would share the blog with him.


These platonic male friends are great. As I said to J just now, being friends with him definitely helps me to understand men, because I can see how men can have all these great qualities (above), yet be just a little less sorted when it comes to women - and that doesn't make them bastards. And the rest of them - as Saab Man proves - are probably gay. Or involved with someone else.


Our lives didn't become more complicated, F. Years of experience and knocks have eroded our innocence and turned us into cynics.


I'm kind of still secretly harbouring a certain fantasy, though...

No comments: