28 June 2007

Insomnia


We are praying for something else now; have become something else ourselves. For even at the point at which it all falls apart, when the battle is lost, when our fate is sealed, when the wound is fresh and we already know we will bear the scars forever- even then – we cannot help but hope.

There are no words, she says, and proceeds to fill the room with words, talking endlessly. The words rise up out of her and fill the room. They break away from each other and dissolve into nothingness. They circle me, strangle me. She speaks for me so I don’t have to, and I am grateful for her words.

Now, as then, what I feel cannot be expressed in language. It is a look, a touch, a curiosity, a desire, a warmth, an understanding, a gut feeling. There are no words for me any more; I don’t know how to put them back together, need the comfort still of their barrier.

Speak

I can’t.

No comments: