09 May 2007

Meltdown!


I am having a meltdown. I am FED UP of modern life, in which we are forced to become categorised commodities; in which we unwittingly prostitute ourselves to the conventions of the corporate and cultural world, just to survive.

I have had enough of bloody recruitment procedures, which typically involve at least 3 interviews, 2 hours of bullshit aptitude tests and ghastly personality tests (which always make me look like Margaret Bloody Thatcher – yes, that is what I have been told). I have 3 degrees and an astronomically expensive education behind me, as well as nearly 10 years of tirelessly slogging my guts out, working upwards of 12 thankless hour days, and all of this is reduced to a 2 page CV, which I am presenting at interview after interview after interview for jobs I don’t even want to do anymore.

I think all relationships are crap as well, and I think that dating websites are morally wrong, especially without subjecting the men to rigorous vetting procedures where all their past (and bloody continuing) relationships are declared and analysed. What is the sodding point? To meet someone, get married (the most ludicrous and unnatural institution ever, as are ALL relationships), for the man then to prove shockingly inept and communicating or knowing what he wants, and to then result in inevitable divorce at best, or a lifetime of suburban hell in bloody Taunton (or equally dire local equivalent) at worst? And all of this trades off a socially constructed notion that we all have to be in a bloody heterosexual relationship and get married and reproduce. What for? So that our children can become over-qualified and waste their skills, knowledge and drive on sell-out careers that merely serve to keep the patriarchal economy ticking along nicely?

I have neither the energy nor the inclination to throw myself into the impending summer wedding season, in which I am forced to spend vast amounts of money on other people’s life choices, especially when those life choices embrace the Great Myth of Eternal Love, and involve swathes of floaty white fabric and soft, pretty flowers and everyone being sickeningly happy, and me having to buy an engagement gift, a wedding gift, pay to go to TWO bloody ceremonies (including hotel room, which I shall occupy ALONE, as I am the only Single Person in the world), AS WELL AS the hen night celebrations, in which, as usual, I shall have to pay for an entire dinner avec drinks, when I typically neither eat nor drink in restaurants.

And yes, of course I’ll feel better tomorrow, but not before I’ve returned to being a complete sell-out.

No comments: