04 May 2006

In Which We Find Out "Tim" 's Real Age


So last Saturday was S's and S's wedding do. I invited "Tim" along as my plus one, for three reasons:

1) When he last said to me "when can I see you again?" I thought I know I'll invite him to S's reception as then we will be surrounded by people and he won't be able to try and grab me for a snog
2) I don't DISLIKE his company, though actually, he did come up with a clanger about feminism at J's later: ("the point was made. Let's move on". The POINT? The Point? Surely millions of points e.g. equal salary; the vote; owning bank accounts; access to high positions in law, business, politics, industry, academia; female creativity being linked to art, literature and film as well as giving birth; the dangers of childbirth; easy access to contraception; sexual violence; women being judged primarily by their looks rather than any other criteria etc - and that's
just off the top of my head)
3) Maybe in a point not entirely unlinked to above rant - there was no-one else obvious to fulfill the 'plus one' role (as an aside to D: John Prescott has more fulfilling sex life than I do!)

So anyway Tim, J and I met in Zinc, then went off to S and S's where D joined us. Tim is a total ladies' man as completely ignored D until J suggested they discussed vinyl records they both own. Anyway, later, back at J's, the men, Tim and D, were chatting about music again when D outright asked Tim what year he was born in. Tim squirmed uncomfortably on his chair, then, with exaggerated casualness, leaned back and said "why, what year do you think I was born in?"
D, without a moment's hesitation, shot back "1956". Tim looked crestfallen, but rallied well and said "goodness, how did you guess, most people think I'm MUCH younger".

Who, the blind? I'm sorry but the man is balding and grey haired (that sort of involuntary monk thing that happens).

Then D later revealed that he'd been doing that polite thing where you deliberately underestimate someone's age! Thank goodness he did, else Tim could never have recovered!

No comments: