18 May 2006

Yet another strange evening...


Hmm, had a bit of a weird one tonight, which I am mailing about before dropping exhausted into my bed - had LONG departmental meeting today, which got a bit nasty at points. Anyway, went off to my French classes (we each had to describe a heroine from literature - I chose Bridget Jones, sorry D) and then as I was mooching back across the quad I was beckoned over by some post-grads who I know very vaguely - one of them, R, snogged my friend H a while back; another one, S, is really very lovely and I taught him years ago; E, in my department; and M, a madly intellectual but wryly amusing if slightly odd American guy doing a PhD in the philosophy of science who I have met at the gender forum. (His presence at the gender forum becomes even more amusing and ironic in the light of later events). They were out on the roof of the buildings, having climbed out of the balcony to smoke and told me to come and join them for a glass of wine, as they were having an end of semester party. My famous rubber arm was twisted and I went up to join them. Plus I wanted a chance to tease R about H.

A few glasses later we all headed back to M's for an impromptu party. M held my hand quite a bit, but I didn't think too much of it. Anyway then, as we were dancing to music, I started discussing avant garde film and Andy Warhol, and I mentioned that film Blow-Job (you know, the one where the camera has a close-up on a guy's face as he receives one). Later I went out the back for a cig (by myself) and M, who had been being mildy flirtatious, came and joined me. Here is our conversation, as verbatim as I can remember - I was more witty in the moment than the re-telling!(after he has asked me for cigarette).

M:"I would like to cast you in a movie I'm thinking of directing."
me: "Uhhuh?"
M:"Yes, it would be a re-make of a certain Andy Warhol movie, with you in a starring role."
Me: "And which film would you be thinking of there? The Empire State Building one?"
M:"No, there's a problem there, as you don't really look very like the Empire State Building."
Me:"Oh really? So which film would you have in mind for me?"
M: "Oh I think I would cast you in blow-job, I think you would be perfect"
Me: "I'll have to consult my agent about this role"
M:"Yes, I think that would be great. My people could get in touch with your people and we could discuss terms and conditions."
Me:"I charge a lot for a starring role, you know."
M:"Oh but seriously - you have a beautiful face that looks like it can really express pleasure".
Me: cough cough, "why thank you"
M:"Oh go on, just here, think about it..."

then his fiancee came and joined us, and the conversation turned to the slugs on the wall, and their pet names.

No comments: