23 April 2007

The Eye of the Storm

On Sunday, my group of Belfast girl buddies abandoned their usual Sunday routine - meeting at Rain City at 2pm for brunch, bloody marys, and gossip - for a day out at the North Antrim coast: they have formed an "Eye of the Storm pro-surfing group" and have swopped booze for bodyboards. We headed out at 9:30 am(!!!!), a time never before seen by self on a Sunday, and headed to Whiterocks beach for a spot of body boarding. The water was freezing, the sky was grey, the waves were tiny...but it was excellent fun. My hangover cleared and I contentedly splashed around, until the sea seeped in through the hole in my boot and I had to declare myself frozen to the bone (we hired wetsuits, natch. This is the Irish Sea we're talking about!)Weirdly, then, I ended up discussing older man and self and whether or not we're in a relationship while floating around and surfing over waves. As we drove back to Belfast, singing at the tops of our voices to H's excellent i-pod selection (special mention here to Wuthering Heights, just made to be bellowed out loud), H and J teased me about older man. "Where has he been all day?" asked H. "In bed, waiting for me," I joked. I then revealed that I had left him my key while out for the day, so he could come and go as he pleased, and didn't have to leave my flat as early as I did. I also admitted that on Saturday we went into town together and bought new bedding together as he suggested that having only one double sheet was madness as means I always have damp bedding after washing my sheets. "I'm going to start calling him hubby," trilled H. "Fuck" I said, and opened the window and lit up a cigarette. "Anyway",said H, "I bet he's waiting at home with a surprise for you." H was right. When I got back, older man had cleaned and tidied the flat and bought me a Roxy Music cd and a Werner Herzog film as a surprise. He had filled the fridge with various goodies, and bought stuff for himself so he doesn't have to keep using my shower gel etc. Was obviously delighted by this, and sat snogging him on the sofa for ages while listening to Bryan Ferry. Then however he turned to me and said "Do you want to watch something?" (No, obviously am not in mood to watch TV!!!) "OK" I said sulkily. Older man said "what do you want to watch?" "I don't care" I sulked. He got out of his DVD boxset of the Twilight Zone, turned up the TV to some mad volume, and asked to sit in the dark so he could concentrate better on the screen. Meanwhile I banged around moodily to find my cigarettes and sat smoking and fuming. Older man started to laugh. "You're so funny" he said. "Let's go to bed". "Are you sure you don't want to watch more of the Twilight Zone?" I asked. "No, let's go to bed" he said again. So we did, and it was great, but hate the fact I was made to feel bored and unvalued as man sat watching stupid TV show. We really might as well be married!!

No comments: